Von: Bolten, Dierk [mailto:bolten@iwe.rwth-aachen.de]
Gesendet: Tuesday, July 10, 2001 6:33 PM
An: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
Betreff: strange heap error

Hi!

I already asked this before, but unfortunately didn't get any reply yet, so
here it comes again with some more details:

I wrote a program that does a Monte Carlo simulation of ferroelectric
switching using the gsl scientific library (Because I needed a good random
number generator). The simulation is actually performed on 8-10 computers
simultaneously, each of which runs a client program that does the math. The
results are collected then by a server program via TCP/IP over our LAN when
the clients are finished. This works all flawlessly, when each client does
its own independent simulation and returns the final results after 6 hours
or so. However, I run into problems when each client is given basically the
same task (just with a different random number seed) and the intermediate
results are collected by the server every 5 minutes or so to calculate an
average over all the results obtained from the clients to improve the
statistics.
In this case the server program dies after 2 hours or something with :

couldn't commit memory for cygwin heap, Win 32 error 487

The computer running the server program, also runs one client, and a couple
more programs to keep track of which clients are online and to maintain a
log file of the simulation currently being executed. All these programs run
in an independent cygwin bash shell.

I would greatly appreciate some comments on the nature of this error, and
what might be the possible cause and remedy for it. In case more details
need to be provided, I'll be happy to do this.

Thanks,
Dierk

Institute of Materials in Electrical Engineering
    and Information Technology II
Sommerfeldstr. 24, 52074 Aachen
voice: ++49-241-80 7822
fax: ++49-241-8888 300