using cygpath & make

I'm using cygwin to develop applications that will be portable between by
laptop and the various Unix boxes that we support. I would like to use
cygpath to manage my path, classpath etc.

I read this in the user guide on cygpath:

"The -i option supresses the print out of the usage message if no filename
argument was given. It can be used in make
file rules converting variables to a proper format"

This is exactly what I want to use cygpath for - specifically managing
CLASSPATH in my make files. But as there is no example, I am at a loss as to
how to go about doing this.

I put together a simple target to illustrate what I am trying to do.

mytemp:
	NEW_FLAGS=`cygpath -p -w /usr/local/bis`; echo new_flags is:
"${NEW_FLAGS}"
	echo "${NEW_FLAGS}

when I run 'make mytemp' , I get:

$ make mytemp
NEW_FLAGS=`cygpath -p -w /usr/local/bis`; echo new_flags is:""
new_flags is:
echo ""

NEW_FLAGS appears to be empty.

running cygpath -p -w /usr/local/bis from the command line gives me:

d:\bis

which is correct.

Can someone explain what the user guide is trying to tell me about how to
use cygpath in a makefile? What am I missing??

Thanks.

Jim