XFree86 4.1.0 installation question

I have installed XFree86 4.1.0 and most everything works fine.  I
believe I downloaded everything and installed it all, but there is a lot
missing.  For example, there doesn't appear to be an /etc/X11 directory,
nor any of the files that belong there (like files to initialize twm).
It seems that there are a number of symbolic links in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
that point to files/directories in /etc/X11 and, thus, they are dead
links.  I have searched all the *.tar files that were downloaded as well
as everything that was installed, but there is no subdirectory
app-defaults, twm, xserver or xinit.

Do you have any suggestions as to where these are?

Thanks,
Chris