RE: Perl, text files, & \r

Max, thanks for the pointer.  While your specific thought isn't
correct---that Perl somehow translates "\n" when dealing with $\ or
$/---double checking my understanding did cause me to stumble upon the
solution: use of the 'binmode' command.

If I modify my code as follows, it will work under both UNIX and
Windows/MS-DOS:
Instead of
	while(<>) {
		# do some funky stuff
		print $_;
	}
Write:
	binmode ARGV;
	while(<>) {
		# do some funky stuff
		print $_;
	}
and all will be well.

I think this should be in the Cygwin FAQ.  Why this works can be found on
pp. 53-55 and 147 of "Programming Perl 2nd Ed.".

Cheers,
Christopher
=========== Christopher Rath == (613) 824-4584 ===========
       1371 Major Rd., Orleans, ON, Canada  K1E 1H3
=============== mailto:christopher@rath.ca ===============
  ``Hydrogen is a colourless, odourless gas which, given
  enough time, turns into people.'' --- Henry Hiebert