RE: Zsh observations

> >3. You get command-line completion OOTB.  What does the compinit
> function give
> >you (I've never used that one before)?
>
> "Smart" directory name completion.  For instance. "cd <TAB>" will only
> complete directory names, and much fancier things.  (Check out
> /usr/local/share/zsh/4.02/functions/_*)

It gives you much much more. Of course, path names are the most "user
visible" (and most often used) but zsh can complete  command arguments of
*any* type (given suitable completion function) and present them with
description as a list where you can select needed match. It can colorize
these lists. It can do partial word matching like f.c -> foo.c, and even
/u/i/s.h -> /usr/include/signal.h. Check <http://sunsite.dk/zsh/Guide/> that
gives nice tutorial what zsh can do. And it includes ready-to-use completion
for quite a number of commands.

-andrej