RE: RCS 5.7 problems...

Yes, I've experienced the exact same problem.  I wasn't sure if it was
caused by my cygwin rcs or my linux rcs (I transport the files between two
boxes).  Luckily, I have lots of backups, but I've had to rebuild some files
by hand.

I just tried your test and it is repeatable.  I haven't debugged it yet.
I'm using only binary mounts.

-- John

$ ls -l asdf
-rw-r--r--    1 jrw      JRW          2459 Jul  3 08:07 asdf

$ cat asdf
01 fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
02 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
03 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
04 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
05 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
06 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
07 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
08 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
09 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
10 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
11 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
12 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
13 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
14 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
15 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
16 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
17 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
18 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
19 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
20 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
21 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
22 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
23 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
24 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
25 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
26 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
27 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
28 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
29 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
30 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
31 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
32 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
33 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
34 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
35 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
36 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end
37 fasfasdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff end

$ ci -t- asdf
asdf,v  <--  asdf
initial revision: 1.1
done

$ ls -l asdf*
-r--r--r--    1 jrw      JRW          2635 Jul  3 08:13 asdf,v

$ co -l asdf
asdf,v  -->  asdf
revision 1.1 (locked)
done

$ tail +2 asdf >fdsa

$ cp -f fdsa asdf

$ ci -u -mx asdf
asdf,v  <--  asdf
done

$ ls -l asdf*
-r--r--r--    1 jrw      JRW          2412 Jul  3 08:24 asdf
-r--r--r--    1 jrw      JRW          1349 Jul  3 08:24 asdf,v