re: cygwin-1.3.1-1 gcc/CPP0.exe error. Absolute mystery.

At 05:34 PM 7/2/2001, easy2remember@gmx.net wrote:
>hi joseph,
>i found your posting, when i was seraching for some info about the
>nysterious cygwin error, because i had the same problem after updating cygwin.
>
>then i found another message board, where people had discussed the problem.
>here is the solution, or let's say, that's what also worked on my pc (win98),
>hope it ll help you.
>florian
>
><quote>
>             the problem was the cygwin1.dll file in windows\system
>             wasn't the correct one... i moved the one in C:\cygwin
>             into system and it works fine except the usual code
>             buggies now. ;)
></quote>

Please *don't* do this.  There should be only one cygwin1.dll on your
system and this should be in /usr/bin.  Any others should be found and
removed.  setup.exe does not put a copy of cygwin1.dll in any directory
other than /usr/bin.  There's no reason to move or copy cygwin1.dll
somewhere else.  If you do, next time you update your installation via
setup.exe, you will end up with 2 (or more - depending on how many
copies you made) cygwin1.dlls which are incompatible with eachother.
This list can't support questions about problems with your Cygwin
environment if you don't conform to the configuration setup.exe gives
you.  There are just too many options and too many ways to shoot yourself
in the foot.  While we can't stop you from trying to do so, we vehemently
discourage the practice (of shooting yourself in the foot that is! :-) )