Re: gdb run < file

I'm sorry too, since what I have done is essentially the work which
normally is taken care by a shell.  And talking about CreateProcess,
the 9th argument of this function is STARTUPINFO, which does hold
initial hStdInput, hStdOutput and hStdError information.  I first
tried to use these before reaching the method I submitted, however
without a success.  After struggling with STARTUPINFO (trying to match
file descriptors and handles) I realized that "why don't I do what
shell normally does?".  As an early comment line in win32-nat.c states
"We assume we're being built with and will be used for cygwin", all
normal open, close and dup should work, and they did.

I don't know why the original implementer did not use a shell to fork
and exec the process instead of calling CreateProcess.  I can only
imagine that there must have been nontrivial reasons for that.

So I agree with you that this is not the right implementation from
normal Unix point of view.  However, until the *CORRECT*
implementation, if it ever exists, becomes available this does serve
for easing users' inconvenience.  Missing redirection certainly has
been very annoying lack of feature to me.

I'm glad you've routed the information to the right people.  I hope we
can eventually reach to the *CORRECT* implementation someday.

In the meantime, for whom seeking for practical solutions, I've
attached revised patch which further emulates shell redirection work,
taking care of [n]>, [n]<, [n]>| and [n]>>.  I know this approach will
never become the *CORRECT* solution no matter how hard I try to
emulate shell's work and I certainly do not intend to emulate perfect
shell.  That is too much for me as well as being a wasteful effort.

Best regards,

-Tak

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:06:02 -0400, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry but I don't think that this is the correct way to deal with
> this.  I think that gdb normally handles things like redirection and
> globbing by starting inferior processes via the user's shell.  Then it
> uses some kind of "follow fork" method to notice when the process is
> finally started.
>
> It just occurred to me that Windows has the capability (check out the
> CreateProcess call) to do this so I think it makes sense to use gdb's
> standard method for dealing with this problem.
>
> I don't have any specific pointers since I'm not familiar with the code
> in question, but I've Cc'ed the gdb mailing list in case someone can
> offer advice.
>
> I should point out that you'll need to have an assignment on file with
> the FSF for your changes to be officially incorporated into gdb.
>
> I've Cc'ed the person responsible for gdb assignments in this email.
>
> cgf
>
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 11:57:00PM -0700, Tak Ota wrote:
> >Since this is the first time for me to look at gdb source it took a
> >while to get to the right place to tackle.  Thank to Source Navigator,
> >eventually I found win32-nat.c was the one I needed to fix.  The fix
> >itself is quite straight forward.
> >
> >Please see the patch to win32-nat.c in gdb-20010428-1 at the end of
> >this message.  I am not quite satisfied with the argument parsing part
> >but at least it fulfills what I wanted.  Please improve it if you have
> >better idea.
> >
> >However I have verified this works, my testing environment is fairly
> >limited.  Please verify it in various different configuration.
> >
> >-Tak

> >> Yep.  That's a limitation in windows gdb.

> >> No one is working on this, currently.  If you can provide a fix it would
> >> be appreciated.  I don't know of any easy way to get this functionality,
> >> though.
>
> --

*** win32-nat.org.c	Wed Apr 18 13:27:11 2001
--- win32-nat.c	Thu Jun 28 20:47:45 2001
***************
*** 49,54 ****
--- 49,56 ----
  #include <sys/param.h>
  #include <unistd.h>

+ #include <ctype.h>
+
  /* The ui's event loop. */
  extern int (*ui_loop_hook) (int signo);

***************
*** 1094,1099 ****
--- 1096,1103 ----
    BOOL ret;
    DWORD flags;
    char *args;
+   char *redirection_path[3];
+   int noclobber[3], append[3];

    if (!exec_file)
      error ("No executable specified, use `target exec'.\n");
***************
*** 1116,1122 ****
    strcpy (args, real_path);

    strcat (args, " ");
!   strcat (args, allargs);

    /* Prepare the environment vars for CreateProcess.  */
    {
--- 1120,1199 ----
    strcpy (args, real_path);

    strcat (args, " ");
!   {
!     /* Perform minimum argument parsing and
!        extract I/O redirection parameters. */
!     char *p = &args[strlen(args)], *q = allargs;
!     int i;
!     for (i = 0; i < 3; i++)
!       {
!         redirection_path[i] = NULL;
!         noclobber[i] = 1; /* default is noclobber */
!         append[i] = 0;
!       }
!     while (1)
!       {
!         char delimiter, *r;
!         int fd;
!         switch (*q)
!           {
!           case '\0': /* end */
!             goto parsed_allargs;
!           case '\\': /* escape */
!             if(*(q + 1) == '\0')
!               goto parsed_allargs;
!             *p++ = *q++;
!             *p++ = *q++;
!             break;
!           case '\'': case '\"': case '`': /* quotes */
!             delimiter = *q;
!             *p++ = *q++;
!             while (*q && *q != delimiter)
!               *p++ = *q++;
!             if(*q)
!               *p++ = *q++;
!             break;
!           case '<': case '>': /* redirection */
!             if (*(p - 1) == '0' || *(p - 1) == '1' || *(p - 1) == '2')
!               fd = *--p - '0';
!             else
!               fd = *q == '<' ? 0 : 1;
!             q++;
!             if (*q == '|')
!               {
!                 noclobber[fd] = 0;
!                 q++;
!               }
!             else if (*q == '>' && fd != 0)
!               {
!                 append[fd] = 1;
!                 q++;
!               }
!             r = redirection_path[fd] = alloca (strlen (q) + 1);
!             do
!               q++;
!             while (isspace (*q));
!             switch (*q)
!               {
!               case '\'': case '\"': case '`': /* quotes */
!                 delimiter = *q++;
!                 break;
!               default:
!                 delimiter = '\0';
!               }
!             while (*q && (delimiter ? *q != delimiter : !isspace (*q)))
!               *r++ = *q++;
!             *r = '\0';
!             if (*q && *q == delimiter)
!               q++;
!             break;
!           default:
!             *p++ = *q++;
!           }
!       }
!   parsed_allargs:
!     *p = '\0';
!   }

    /* Prepare the environment vars for CreateProcess.  */
    {
***************
*** 1191,1206 ****
      *temp = 0;
    }

!   ret = CreateProcess (0,
! 		       args,	/* command line */
! 		       NULL,	/* Security */
! 		       NULL,	/* thread */
! 		       TRUE,	/* inherit handles */
! 		       flags,	/* start flags */
! 		       winenv,
! 		       NULL,	/* current directory */
! 		       &si,
! 		       &pi);
    if (!ret)
      error ("Error creating process %s, (error %d)\n", exec_file, GetLastError ());

--- 1268,1326 ----
      *temp = 0;
    }

!   {
!     /* When specified, set up I/O redirection while creating
!        the inferior process. */
!     int fd_copy[3], i;
!     for (i = 0; i < 3; i++)
!       {
!         if (redirection_path[i])
!           {
!             int fd;
!             fd_copy[i] = dup (i);
!             fflush (i == 0 ? stdin : i == 2 ? stdout : stderr);
!             close (i);
!             if (i == 0)
!               fd = open (redirection_path[i], O_RDONLY);
!             else
!               fd = open (redirection_path[i], O_CREAT | O_WRONLY |
!                          (noclobber[i] && !append[i] ? O_EXCL : 0) | (append[i] ? O_APPEND : O_TRUNC),
!                          0666);
!             if (fd == -1)
!               {
!                 int j;
!                 for (j = 0; j <= i; j++)
!                   {
!                     close (j);
!                     dup (fd_copy[j]);
!                     close (fd_copy[j]);
!                   }
!                 error ("Cannot open file `%s'.\n", redirection_path[i]);
!               }
!           }
!         else
!           fd_copy[i] = -1;
!       }
!     ret = CreateProcess (0,
!                          args,	/* command line */
!                          NULL,	/* Security */
!                          NULL,	/* thread */
!                          TRUE,	/* inherit handles */
!                          flags,	/* start flags */
!                          winenv,
!                          NULL,	/* current directory */
!                          &si,
!                          &pi);
!     for (i = 0; i < 3; i++)
!       {