RE: pthreads works, sorta

OK, I'm over my head to even try to participate in this, but it seems to me
that if you want to check for the condition where you can neither read nor
write, and you can never write if you can't read, then you only need to
check the read condition.  You only need to check the write condition if
you need to distinguish between read-only and read/write.