RE: Any hints porting from *nix to Cygwin + Native Windows GTK+

I get this kind of response a lot, probably because I'm not being clear
enough.  When most people use the term GNOME, they mean a desktop
environment, but as I have learned more about GNOME, I've come to
understand that that is not what it is.  The GNOME project happens to
include 2 desktop manager options, but they don't even include a wm, they
just require that the wm meet certain GNOME compliance parameters.
 Furthermore, GNOME applications can run properly under KDE (partly due to
cooperation between GNOME/KDE teams).  To me, what GNOME is, primarily, is
an application development framework.

When I say, I want to port GNOME to native Windows, I mean the GNOME
libraries.  I should be able to take a GNOME application such as Gnumeric,
compile it under Windows, and have it run.  Essentially, then, you could
say that a GNOME app might also be a Windows app with a single source tree
(using Cygwin, but not needing X).  Alternatively, you might say that
native Windows had become acceptable as a GNOME-compliant wm.
 Theoretically, this should not be too troublesome since pretty much all
the underlying GNOME technologies (GTK+, ORBit, etc.) are cross-platform
now and run on native Windows.  Even the new default database they just
adopted is already Linux/Windows.

The primary reason all this matters to me is that I'm working with a team
of people wishing to make a cross-platform, GPL-licensed database
front-end, and GNOME's libgal libraries would be a very nice thing to
include.  If we do that, we may as well make it a full-blown GNOME app (and
why not), but it MUST also run on Windows.  As a side effect, we would be
paving the way for porting pretty much the entire GNOME office suite which
would expose a much larger audience to the wonders of free software (those
not yet interested in trying Linux).