Re: cp error -- oh the great sanity of *nix tools?!?

Soren Andersen wrote:

> I have a fixed Makefile.IN prepared now for this package (Berkeley DB
> 2.7.7). This software's author (SleepyCat) will I am sure *never* be
> interested in fixing his Makefile/configure setup for Cygwin, because it is
> an old release. It is the highest-numbered 2.x release. I chose it because
> the documentation that comes with Perl5.6.1/Cygwin says to do so (to use a
> more recent bdb2.x that has the bdb1.xx-compatibility option, to not break
> older Perl module code). So although it is an old package, it is IMHO *not*
> irrelevent to Cygwin users (at least to those who might want to compile
> their own Perl from source), since it is a Perl dependency.

It's not a perl dependency (that is, you CAN build perl WITHOUT Berkeley
db.  In fact, the "official" cygwin perl is built without db support).
OTOH, you can build your own perl WITH Berkeley db support if you so
desire, and if you do so, the most recent version of Berkdb that *I*
have verified to work with a ccygwin port of perl is, in truth, 2.7.7.

(I vaugely remember that Michael Ring was working on a cygwin port of
db-3.?.?,  and that he *did* get it to work with cygwin-perl.  Check the
archives, check with him...)

By the way, db-2.7.7 has been sitting here, with patches, and
precompile, for a long time now:
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/db-2.7.7/
However, this particular port of db was done during the Cygwin 1.x
pre-release days (it *works* with current cygwin's, but I'm no longer
sure that it will *compile* with current cygwins.  So perhaps your
effort is better, since it's more recent.)

> So, who is the
> Maintainer of this sort of thing (Cygwin-Perl)?

Eric Fifer maintains the  cygwin port of perl.

> Can someone cite an
> individual to whom I could forward my fixed Makefile.IN?

But I can guarantee that he's not interested in supporting another
package, such as db.  Until and unless someone *else* accepts
responsibility for and packages "db" for official inclusion, I doubt
Eric will build perl to use it.  Also, we are currently in a "new
package moratorium" until the setup.exe changes get shaken down.

> So that it can be
> incorporated into a package to add to the existing Cygwin-ported libraries?
> I had to fix some of the code, too (all only macro stuff of course).

See above ("new package moratorium").

--Chuck