Re: Blunt Tools (was: cgf does not want private email about cygwin)

At the risk of sounding like a "me too" to Chuck's epistle, I'd like to
add my $.02 here as well (on a more serious note).  I too would say that
there has been more curtness on this list but as Chuck points out, that's
not rudeness.  It may be perceived that way but that doesn't make it so.
The goal of this list has always been to enable the Cygwin community.
Its done this over the years by responding to questions on this list.
Perhaps this has been done too well since the volume and the scope of the
questions has expanded considerably.  I think the curtness that others may
perceive comes from the attempt of some here to keep up with the volume
and also attempt to direct those with OT queries.  Short answers and directions to those with inappropriate topics may be perceived by the
original poster and others as "attitude" (as its been called here
before) but its really just an attempt to provide folks the answers
they're looking for.  If we all had infinite time, we could all come up
with the precisely appropriate phrasing for every response that would
ensure everybody got the answer they need with all the detail and charm
required.  That wouldn't be curt.  Unfortunately, it turns out not to be
practical.

The goal of this list is certainly not to offend folks.  The goal is to
empower the Cygwin community.  As Chris points out, certainly the list is
managing that to some degree, given the volume and scope of the inquiries.
As in any community, the actions (or inactions) of some are going to
offend or rub some others wrong regardless of intent.  Hopefully, those
situations are short-lived.  One only needs to look at the wealth of
effort that has gone into the email archives, even if one were to ignore
(sacrilege!) the enormous contribution of Cygwin itself, to confirm that
folks here have the community in mind.  Personally, I'd love to see that
focus continue!  If we can get more people to try to answer some of the
"easy" questions themselves, we'll save some bandwidth, some time, and
perhaps some frayed nerves! ;-)  The result would be a better list for
everyone if you ask me.  There may continue to be curt messages on this
list, but curt or not, the content generally quite useful if one follows
up on it.  I think its important to not overlook this fact.

Larry

PS - Some amount of modesty compels me to point out that my statements
      above are not meant as a self-congratulatory dissertation in any way.
      I'm writing this as an "outsider" that admires what the Cygwin
      community has and continues to accomplish.