Re: Window position

> > One of the features I'm really missing in Cygwin is the ability to
> > reposition the terminal window (either console or rxvt) using echo, with
> > something like this:
> >
> > echo -n "\033[3;9;17t"
> >
> > Is this a feature that's missing in termcaps?
>
> It has nothing to do with the termcap or terminfo, since you are echoing
> directly. Anyway, THERE IS direct addressing capability in both console
> and rxvt and it is the same string - "\E[<line>;<column>H". Both line
> and column start from 1. e.g. to position to line 10, column 30 you
> should do: echo -en "\033[10;30H"
>
> BTW. The terminfo capability name is "cup". You can do infocmp (like I
> did) and see its definition.

"cup" changes the cursor position. I'm looking to change the window or
terminal position.

It works when I'm using rxvt with X under cygwin. I looked at the dump from
infocmp with the rxvt in X, and there isn't a capability starting with
"\E[" and ending in "t". I also couldn't find any mention of moving a
terminal or window in ECMA-48.

Basically, I'd like to be able to start a command window or rxvt and then
place it where I want it on the screen without using the mouse.

Ken Collins