RE: Which version of Libtool to use? (or is libtool impossible)

I don't recall mentioning -luser32 as the issue :}. It was just an
indicator to me that you haven't ported those applications. Cygwin
compiled programs usually don't link with user32. (And yes, they can if
they need to).

gtk+ doesn't need win32, it runs quite nicely under X for me here (with
Windows 2000 SP1).
However, if you want to build a gtk+ with win32 GDI backend, you will
need to port it to mingw, I believe the current win32 build is MSVC++
based.

Rob