RE: [avail for test] readline-4.2-1

<snip>
> My changes are not libtool-based at all.  It seems, too, that
> readline doesn't
> use libtool to build on Linux, either.  It appears that
> readline is autoconf'ed,
> but not libtool'ed.

I grabbed the srcball and had a look-see. readline isn't libtool'ed. It
also isn't Automade - do you know if Chet has any objection to this in
principle?
(It's easier to add libtool to automake projects than to non-automake
projects).

> 2) Rumor has it that newer libtools can create dll's.  I have
> not looked into
> this issue at all.  If you pursue this, the Makefiles will
> probably change
> w.r.t. the original in a differet way than I have changed
> them in 1-b).  Also, I
> do not know if libtool can deal with the appropriate #defines
> and macros as in
> 1-a).

libtool creates .dll's and has for a while. It's documented in the goat
book. It's not documented clearly elsewhere unfortunately.

Libtool issues -DDLL_EXPORT to gcc when compile source that will become
part of a .DLL and doesn't when compiling static library source.

Most of the onus on .dll library creation rests on the programmer today
- using #defines like you have. I intend to change that, but not
overnight!. So yes it will handle what you've done in 1-a, with minor or
no changes. Some changes may make the source easier to grok, utilising
the libtool capabilities.

If you're interested I have a trivial helloworld sample with two
libraries, one dependent on the other, that builds in both static and/or
non-static mode with libtool 1.4. The point about it is that the code
changes can be very localised and minor. (And this covers exported
functions and variables accessible cross-dll) - rather like libpng and
linbz2.

Rob