Re: some newbie questions about the c++ libraries included in Cygwin...

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 11:21:01PM -0700, valcados NOLASTNAME wrote:
> my 2 questions are...  what function to use, and which included header file
> to use  (assuming this is included in Cygwin) to change the cursor position?
>   the equivalent to the "locate" command in basic...  the function my
> textbook uses for this requires a header file only in an expensive compiler.
>   And, which function/header file to change the color of the text sent to
> stdout?  Again, the function in my textbook requires an expensive compiler.
> I tried looking through the header files in /cygwin/usr/... but it seemed
> like they consisted 99% of declarations and #defines and such, without any
> actual function(s) in sight.

That's not a compiler thingy. If you need specific functionality
in C/C++, you'll need to know in which library you can find them.
Most standard stuff (file IO, etc) is already linked in by default
but what you want is terminal control. You'll find that in the
ncurses package. Since you can't simply use a function to control
the cursor but you'll have to follow some preliminaries I suggest
reading the ncurses man pages which are pretty good:

	man ncurses

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.