Re: hello from Russia (FAQ alert)

On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 06:39:30AM +0400, RFC Master wrote:
>But i BADLY need to produce a binary exe file that doesn't depend on
>cygwin1.dll and imports ALL the functions and subroutines i use into
>this exe file? I need my applications to run under a limited
>environment where i can launch only one small binary exe file (that
>doesn't exceed 200-300 Kb). But i have a reading access to the remote
>kernel32.dll.
>
>How can i build my pretty small and simple console only programs
>independently from cygwin1.dll?

There is no way to do this if you are using functions that are only
found in cygwin, like fork().  If you don't need UNIX functionality,
you can compile with gcc -mno-cygwin .  This will create an executable
which relies only on Windows DLLs.  See http://www.mingw.org/ for more
details.

Otherwise, there is no way to link cygwin statically, which may be what
you are asking for.

David, do you think you could add some words about the that statically
linking cygwin isn't possible (or at least isn't possible without a LOT
of work) to the FAQ?

cgf