Re: gcc on cygwin-1.3.2

At 05:05 PM 5/24/2001, Snider, Greg wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I just updated to cygwin-1.3.2 (running on NT) and am having problems
>getting gcc to work. I get one or both of the following error messages:
>
>      "gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or
>directory"
>
>      "/bin/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such file or directory"
>
>The cpp0.exe file exists in c:\cygwin\lib\gcc-lib\i686-pc-cygwin\2.95.3-4,
>and crt0.o is in c:\cygwin\lib, but gcc and ld can't seem to find them.
>
>All the other utilities seem to work fine, so I suspect I've failed to set a
>critical environment variable or something else stupid. I've installed the
>system in c:\cygwin, my path includes
>c:\cygwin\bin;c:\cygwin\usr\bin;c:cygwin\usr\local\bin. My mount table looks
>like this (for what it's worth):
>
>c:\cygwin\bin on /bin type user (textmode)
>c:\cygwin\etc on /etc type user (textmode)
>c:\cygwin\lib on /lib type user (textmode)
>c:\cygwin\usr on /usr type user (textmode)
>a: on /a type user (textmode)
>c: on / type user (textmode)
>d: on /d type user (textmode)
>i: on /i type user (textmode,noumount)
>j: on /j type user (textmode,noumount)
>k: on /k type user (textmode,noumount)
>m: on /m type user (textmode,noumount)
>
>The top level directories (c:\bin, c:\tmp, c:\etc, c:\var, c:\usr, ...) all
>exist. Any pointers on what I did wrong?  Thanks for any help.
>
>-Greg Snider
>  Hewlett-Packard

First, your mounts are non-standard which leads me to believe that either:

   1. You didn't use setup.

   2. You did use setup but then you changed things around and remounted
      things manually.

Either way, this is non-standard and is probably not something which will
inspire this list to offer allot of pertinent debugging help.  As you suggest,
there is more than one way to configure things but because of this
flexibility, there is complexity.  Setup is designed to abstract away that
complexity, albeit at the cost of some flexibility.  If you don't like the
simplicity that setup gives you, that's fine but you're pretty much on your
own to debug your own environment then, since no one else has access to your
system to see what you did.

My advice is to reinstall Cygwin via setup in a new location and migrate
anything you need from your current installation (i.e. personalized config
files, etc) to the new one.  Then get rid of the old one and any pointers
to it.  Once you've done that, you should have a consistent environment
which works.  If that's not the case, consult the FAQ for the next proper
course of action.

Good luck,