sshd and ssh (authorized_keys and permissions)

> Since 2.9 has many new parts, it's possible that it checks more
> modes than before. Another interesting point is the setting in
> /etc/sshd_config. It contains a "StrictModes" setting which you
> could try to set to "no".

Interesting... I did that, and it definitely makes a difference. No more
mode/ownership errors in the event log, but now when I log on I get asked
for passwords/passphrases three separate times:

c:\cygnus\bin>ssh localhost
Enter passphrase for key '/c/.ssh/id_rsa':
Enter passphrase for key '/c/.ssh/id_dsa':
stanton@localhost's password:

I think I prefer getting an error message... To be honest, I don't know what
all this is about. I just want to type a password and log on. Should I care
about DSA/RSA etc?

>> b. I've tried changing ownership of auth... to everything I can think of,
>> and the same error messages still occur.

> Even the LocalSystem (== SYSTEM) account?

Yes. I tried "chown system" and "chown 0" (which, for some reason, is the
only thing that works on my NT machine)