Re: removing ^M from shell output not working

> Would anyone have any idea why my .emacs configuration to strip ^M
> characters from shell output isn't working?
>
> Based on the Cygwin "Why can't I run bash as a shell under NT Emacs" page
> at http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/faq/faq_4.html#SEC54, I have this:
>
>   ;;
>   ;; This removes unsightly ^M characters that would otherwise
>   ;; appear in the output of java applications.
>   ;;
>   (add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions
>             'comint-strip-ctrl-m)

(modify-coding-system-alist 'process "" 'unix)

works for me like a charm on e21 (CVS version - the latest pretest).

whoever maintains the FAQs might want to update it.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
All generalizations are wrong.  Including this.