Re: backslashes stripped in perl

have you tried using \\ where you are using \?  Perl is probably seeing
the \ as an escape character, so you need to escape the \ to preserve
it.  You may need to play with varying levels of \ to get it right
depending on how many downstream filters are looking at the string
(Check out some of Don Libes discussions about backslashes in his
Exploring Expect book)