getting rlogind to work with cygwin on NT

Folks,

 I'm trying to get rlogind to work with cygwin 1.1.something,
 and I am baffled as to how to get it to work.

 I'm running Win NT SP5

 I have pkg cygwin-1.1.8-2
    and pkg inetutils-1.3.2-11
    and a bunch of other packages.

 The standard bin stuff works.

 I have read the inetutils-1.3.2-README

 I set CYGWIN = c:\cygwin in the system environment variables.
 I put a copy of cygwin1.dll in /usr/sbin
   (same affect as fixing path, the dll gets found)
 I ran inetd --install-as service
 I rebooted, and one instance of inetd is running.
 If I try rlogin or telent all I get is "login incorrect"
 with no clue as to what might be broken.

 I have tried net stop inetd, net start inetd, with no difference.
 I have run mkpasswd -l, with no luck.
 I have run net stop inetd and just run inetd in a shell,
 and I can see rlogind or rtelnetd started up, but I still
 get login incorrect (probably won't work, not started as a service,
 but at least I can see that I'm connecting.)

 How do I figure out what I have to do to get it running?

Thanks for any info,  Mark Keil