Re: May need a ghostscript maintainer

----- Original Message -----
From: "Norman Vine" <nhv@cape.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2001 10:58 PM
Subject: RE: May need a ghostscript maintainer

> Earnie Boyd writes:
> >

> I believe this is the norm an is the 'approved' ghostscript 'way'
>
> FYI in 'true' hacker style all I did to get this to work was
>  1) start with the supplied unix-gcc.mak
>  2) remove all 'X" references
>  3) add appropriate references to Chucks jpeg png and zlib ports
>  4) rename it cygwin.mak
>  5) with Rob Collins help work around some then missing thread stuff
>      < as of Cygwin 1.3 this is no longer necessary  :-)) >
>
> Hopefully the 'official' porter of Ghostscript will get the library to
build
> as a DLL but in the interim I thought that this would obliviate the
need
> for a ghostscript package at all as this method just WORKS !!
>
> Anyway since this appears to be controversial
> I will NOT submit a patch to the ghostscript team
> and remain content with my personal installation

It doesn't seem very controversial to me: just the usual

"this isn't the most-easy-for-novice-package-foo-users"

"Well it is for this package because-its-in-the-dark-ages"

"ok. What about feature foo"

:].

I'd strongly suggest you submit a patch to the packge authors - as long
as disabling the X stuff is a compile time option, not a
cygwin-platform-dependent-option.
(I happen to have X :])

As for the makefile name, just follow the naming convention for the
package :]]

Doing this will make the new ghostscript maintainers job easier! Thanks
for getting out and doing this...

Rob