bash can't see folder

I'm having some weird bash behavior that I'm hoping somebody can
help me out with.  I'm running cygwin on a win2k box, 1.1.8 I think,
just so you know.

When I go to the directory /usr in bash, I can't see a lib folder, but
when I go to that same directory in windows, the lib folder is there.  I
can create a lib folder in bash and it is visible, but it is a different lib
folder than reported by windows.  If I then rename the lib folder in
bash to liba, a liba folder suddenly appears in windows (verifying
that I am indeed looking at the same directory).  Renaming the
windows lib folder also makes it appear in bash and removing all lib
folders from both places to clear the slate and start fresh doesn't
help.  Has anybody seen anything like this?  Any ideas on how to
proceed?

Thanks for any help
-Jim