Re: Who controls window title??

Mark Paulus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't remember having run across this anywhere.  However,
> if it has been discussed, I would appreciate pointers to the
> relevant locations....
>
> Anyway, I have cygwin installed on my Win2K box @ work,
> and as I mentioned in a previous thread, I have cygwin
> installed on my WinME box @ home, with access through
> my DMZ @ home.   However, here's my problem.  When I
> have windows up for both of them, they usually only have the
> path displayed in the title.  So, when I have several windows
> iconized to the task bar, I really don't know which window
> goes to which machine, unless I expand them.  Is there a way
> to have the machine name added to the string displayed by
> the window title.  I'm not sure if this is a windows thing, or
> a bash/cygwin thing, or a combo of both.  Any help/pointers
> would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks.

There is a small GPL'd utility that I think will do what you want.  It's
called xttitle, you can get it at:

	http://www.jarvis.com/xttitle/

  The "official" build (ie Makefile) didn't run properly on Cygwin when I
tried it last, but there is only one source file, and it compiled fine with
gcc not using make, so you shouldn't have any trouble.

I have the following function in my .bashrc:

function cd_xttitle {
    \cd $1
    xttitle.exe $(echo $HOSTNAME:$PWD)
}

and I have my cd aliased as:

alias cd='cd_xttitle'

This will keep the window title to what you are asking for I believe.

Hope that helps,

Jon