Re: Problems with illegal characters in Pathnames

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 03:31:04PM +0200, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm porting applications for Windows (using X11 and KDE) and one often
> recognized problem is that application using
> the content of the DISPLAY environment variable to generate filenames
> directly. Under Windows character ':' and some other aren't allowed for
> filenames, so this applications will fail on running.
>
> I've found a function "mount_info::conv_to_win32_path" in the cygwin
> library. Is it possible, that this function can convert illegal filename
> characters to valid ?

No, it doesn't. This is a long lasting discussion and currently
there's no agreement due to several pros and cons.

If you really want that functionality, write your own wrapper
functions which convert POSIX paths to POSIX paths minus invalid
DOS chars.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.