Re: contribution soapbox(was Re: G++ guru's please comment - Re: FW: pthread_create problem in Cygwin 1.1.8-2])

Hi Robert,

The tricky part is to make pthread_once MT-safe without doing a busy
wait.

Your code is not MT-safe; more than one thread can enter init_routine.

I'm not familiar with the requirements of pthread_once but I'm expecting
the following to be true:

1. Only one thread may enter init_routine (otherwise the "once" suffix
doesn't make any sense).

2. if init_routine is currently being run by some thread then all other
threads must block until the function has completed.

Here is my implementation of pthread_once using busy waiting. If
init_routine takes a long time then busy waiting becomes very bad :-(

typedef struct {unsigned int state; unsigned int lock;} pthread_once_t;

#define PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT {0, 0}

inline unsigned int pthread_once_try_lock(pthread_once_t* once_control)
{
  register unsigned int previous;
  asm volatile ("xchgl %0, %1" : "=&r" (previous), "=m"
(once_control->lock) : "0" (1));
  return !previous;
}

int __pthread_once(pthread_once_t* once_control, void (*init_routine)
(void)) {
  if (!once_control->state) { // should init_routine possible be called
by this thread
    while (!pthread_once_try_lock(once_control)); // wait for exclusive
lock
      // only one thread can be here at any time
      if (!once_control->state) { // should this thread run init_routine
        init_routine();
        once_control->state = 1; // make sure init_routine is not called
again
      }
    once_control->lock = 0; // release lock
  }
  return 0;
}
<<<<

Warning: I have not checked and optimized it thoroughly.

P.S. I have put the code in the attachment!

René

Robert Collins wrote:

> Rene, this isn't pointed at you! I just reread my reply and I realised
> I'd missed an IMO important point.

#include <stdio.h>

typedef struct {unsigned int state; unsigned int lock;} pthread_once_t;

#define PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT {0, 0}

inline unsigned int pthread_once_try_lock(pthread_once_t* once_control) {
  register unsigned int previous;
  asm volatile ("xchgl %0, %1" : "=&r" (previous), "=m" (once_control->lock) : "0" (1));
  return !previous;
}

int __pthread_once(pthread_once_t* once_control, void (*init_routine) (void)) {
  if (!once_control->state) { // should init_routine possible be called by this thread

    while (!pthread_once_try_lock(once_control)); // wait for exclusive lock
      // only one thread can be here at any time
      if (!once_control->state) { // should this thread run init_routine
        printf("D: state=%d lock=%d\n", once_control->state, once_control->lock);
        init_routine();
        once_control->state = 1; // make sure init_routine is not called again
      }
    once_control->lock = 0; // release lock
  }
  return 0;
}

void myfunction() {
  printf("I'm only executed once\n");
}

int main() {
  pthread_once_t once= PTHREAD_ONCE_INIT;
  printf("A: state=%d lock=%d\n", once.state, once.lock);
  __pthread_once(&once, &myfunction);
  printf("B: state=%d lock=%d\n", once.state, once.lock);
  __pthread_once(&once, &myfunction);
  printf("C: state=%d lock=%d\n", once.state, once.lock);
  return 0;
}