Re: How to (dynamically) control Unix/Dos PATH-like variable translation

Glen Coakley wrote:

> > From: Earnie Boyd [mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com]
> >
> > Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > >
> > > Also, most Cygwin programs should be able to deal just fine
> > with Windows
> > > style paths.  So, just use those.
> > >

> > Just want to emphasize this point.  I think it was missed.
> >
> > Earnie.

-8<-

> Other users will have to try their OS to find out where else this works.
> but, I just tried using POSIX paths on my Win2000 box and they work just
> fine in cygwin or the Command Prompt. My cygwin root is d:\cygwin. I can
> reference this from a Win2000 command prompt window or a Cygwin bash shell
> as either //d/cygwin or /d/cygwin.

As we've stated before DON'T USE //d/ to refer to disk drives, it is
deprecated and will be going away.  You should be able to use
/cygdrive/d/cygwin or d:/cygwin or if you modify the cygdrive-prefix to
/ you can also use /d/cygwin.

A word of caution about the use of d:/cygwin:  The default processing
mode is text.  I.E. Line endings are \r\n not \n regardless of all other
mount settings.

Earnie.

P.S.: Order changed to allow for conversational flow.