Re: -mno-cygwin and C++ -- solved!

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Wasn't --mno-cygwin a Geoff Noer invention?

My memory rusty on this, but I believe you're correct (Steve Chamberlain
would've been my second guess, but he may have been before Colin Peters'
work in developing mingw).

> Would I cause a massive volcanic eruption if I ripped --mno-cygwin out
> of gcc and just suggested that people ran the mingw version of gcc?
> I guess we'd then be subjected to pathname complaints...

As you note in other messages, Cygwin itself needs the -mno-cygwin. My
point is that if you want to use mingw with a unix style configuration
scheme, you need to really build it as a cross-compiler to avoid the
various pitfalls in using -mno-cygwin. I still have a build system from
the old days that basically renamed i686-pc-mingw-gcc to just gcc, had
a uname that spit out mingw in some form (Earnie's contribution a long
time ago), and a few other tweaks, and I could build my own packages
which are rather large. Of course, I'd mostly build on either linux or
solaris simply because hosting quality, but that's not much of an issue
anymore with Cygwin's dramatic improvement of late, especially under w2k.

Regards,
Mumit