Perl: Textmode vs. Binary mode...

if I open a open a file using the perl command:

     unless(open(CONFIG, "<$config")) {
         print("Error: Can't open fglg file, \"$config\".\n");
         exit(-1);
     }

on a file system mounted with textmode:

    Device              Directory           Type         Flags
    C:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       textmode
    C:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       textmode
    C:\cygwin           /                   system       textmode

should I expect the line read with perl command:

    while($line = <CONFIG>) {

to be terminated with a "\r\n" or just a "\n".  I assumed that I would
get a "\n", but for some reason, after updating my cygwin today on one
of my systems to 1.1.8, I started getting "\r\n".  I used to use a single
"chop($line)" to get rid of the newline then process the remaining string
as a filename...but now I have that nagging "\r" at the end of the string
screwing everything up...

what part of this equation am I missing...

...myoung