cygwin: can't get terminal output from rxvt or xterm

I am trying to run a dos console app from an rxvt running bash.  The app
works fine is bash is invoked from cmd.exe but not if bash is running in
an rxvt.  I have the same problem if I ssh into the Windows machine from
a Linux box using a gnome-terminal or ordinary xterm.

How can I fix this.  I've tried export CYGWIN='tty title'.  Are there
any other options I should try.

Please email to me as well as the list.
Thanks,
Brendan Simon