Re: cygwin: Having problems with rsh, ssh, login etc.

Brendan,
> I have tried running sshd
> and using ssh to connect but it fails.
More info would be nice.  What does "it fails" mean?  What does "I have
tried" mean?

> Is
> there a HOWTO for setting up accounts on Win2000 for use with Cygwin ????
Cygwin comes with /usr/doc/Cygwin which has a LOT of great information for
setting such things up.

So...   How did you install Cygwin?  Did you run setup from the web site
(http://cygwin.com/setup.exe)?

Did you read /usr/doc/Cygwin/openssh-2.5.1p2.README?
Did you read /usr/doc/Cygwin/login.README?
Did you read /usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README?

How are you setting up SSHD to start?  Are you using INETD?  Are you using
SRVANY?  Firedaemon?  What account is set up to run SSHD or INETD?  What are
the permissions on the SSH Host Key files in /etc?

What is the system-wide CYGWIN variable set to?  Are the necessary Cygwin
bin directories in your system-wide path?

Are you trying to log in with a domain account when mkpasswd -l was run to
create your /etc/passwd?

Here are plenty of thoughts for you... Hopefully they'll help you get going.

Good luck,
-ME