Python Installation information request

I have noticed various mails about building python 2.x. I don't remember
the names involved, but you have gotten much further than I have.

I have downloaded the Python source in gz format from sourceforge. I chose
the Python 2.0 version. Maybe that is my error.

Anyway, everything compiles fine. What happens is that make enters the
Modules subdirectory and tries to move the python executable. It dies
saying that it can not do that.

mv python ../python

I have cygwin 1.1.8 running under Win98. My primary shell is bash.

My process is:
download gz
gunzip Python2.0_tar.tz
tar xvr Python2.0_tar
cd Python2.0
./configure --with-threads=no
make
-- At this point after it has created the python.exe in Python2.0/Modules is
where I get the error message.
Any help or direction would be appreciate.