Re: W11, straightening it out Was: Re: How to make Ghostscript 5.50 [...]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Markebo" <flognat@flognat.myip.org>
To: "Earnie Boyd" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2001 9:20 AM
Subject: W11, straightening it out Was: Re: How to make Ghostscript 5.50
[...]

> Hmm "weleven".. "welven".. "wulven" "wolven".. "wolverine"
> "wellverine", "well", "the Graphics Elven", "We11even - the Graphic
> Well" ;-)
>
> Most of my 'negativism' in this subject is probably because of
> misunderstandings, do we/you/whoever have any ideas of what this W11
> should do, replace the X11 libraries with something that talks
> directly to the windows drawing area.. sort of? Giving up possibility
> to display on other screens?

Yes. I _think_ I do. FYI I'm currently faq and web page maintainer for
the cygwin-xfree project (right thats credentials sorted out :]) From
what I understand Earnie is proposing a replacement set of X client
libraries that when you link an application against (under cygwin) you
will end up drawing to the windows GUI, not to a potentially remote X
server. This is a good thing for performance, and has been done in
various fashions before.

Earnie seems to be proposing that this be a separate project - I'm
proposing that it should fit under the aegis of the cygwin-xfree
project, so that a) it can leverage off the work _currently in progess_
to do the exact mapping of X call to GDI call that will be needed.
Secondly I'd really like it if the deliverable of the project was
_dynamic link client libraries_ not _statically linked_. The reason for
this is that there will be less headaches with multiple binaries for
things like ghostscript floating around, and more flexability.

Lastly, AFAIK the issue ghostscript had with libICE would still be
present even if this project already existed so in this discussion so I
think we're going down a interesting, but short-term irrelevant path.

XFree86 and cygwin have collided on include files (for TK I think)
before, and it's been resolved. I suggest that the resolution for
ghostscript is just distrubute libICE as well. After all it's not being
used for output - that's ghostview - but for data generation.

Rob

> / "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> wrote:
> | [...]
> | > Most of the applications is to get xapplications to display from
other
> | > hosts, of course they also can display x-applications running on
the
> | > windows machine, but I haven't seen the X11-libs included.
> |
> | Possibly statically linked.
>
> I was thinking about porting x-applications to a windows machine,
> compile it on the machine, and run it on the windows machine, with or
> without an x-server running on the windows machine.. Then you need
> .lib's, .dll's with the X-library interface..
>
> [...]
>
> | Or were you referring to the current work to write a GDI based
X-Server