Re: bash: difference between //c/ and c:/

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 12:43:26PM +0100, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> * Corinna Vinschen
> | So it has to be:
> |
> |    mount -s -b --change-cygdrive-prefix /
>
> I'll have to try this, too.
>
> In the meantime I could solve my Openssh login problems by using
> `mount' and recreating /etc/passwd to have /home/user as HOME.
>
> a) mount -s -b c:\\home /home
>    This resolves the login-via-ssh-problem (bash not working as
>    login-shell at all)
>
> b) mount -s -b c:\\ /c
>    this solves the `ls: .: no such file or directory' when I cd to
>    c:/temp in a remote-login bash/sh and then invoke `ls'.

Actually you can use forward slashes when giving the DOS path:

	mount -s -f -b C:/ /c

and when mounting the root dir of a drive you can omit the
slash completely:

	mount -s -f -b C: /c

> Step `b' should be obsoleted by --change-cygdrive, I have to test
> that.

No. In fact it recreates the ability to use //c again but
this time without the need of a special path handling in
Cygwin to deal with //<drive-letter>. So we can drop that
in Cygwin, finally.

> So the keypoint seems to me to `mount' all related pathes:
>   - the home directories if they are to be `outside' of /
>     (/ is c:/cygwin, /home should be c:/home)
>   - the drives, either via explicit mounts, or via --change-cygdrive

That's always better, IMO. You should never give up control
of your paths. Personally I don't use paths in Cygwin which
I didn't create a mount point for. Uhm, except when I'm
just looking for something in X:/Program Files/Micro...

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.