Bash now works with é, but not vi, grep, etc

(I will write in English for others on this list, thanks Michel)

Indeed, I made a directory /home/myusername
and created the file .inputrc containing,:
set meta-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on
and then restarted cygwin.
Yes, now the beautiful letters é and è came out in bash, when typed.
However, I still haven't gotten vi or vim to accept or display é etc.
Neither does grep, and probably others.
Even though I set the environment variable
export LANG=fr_BE.iso8859-1

However,
Interesting note and clue perhaps, if I run xterm, and then
suddenly inside xterm, vi and grep
etc, now show these characters é without problem!
What is vi getting when xterm starts that it is not getting
under bash, what is grep getting under xterm that it is not getting
under bash?
Any suggestions as to how to get vi to translate these characters é
correctly
while running vi directly under bash. I have waded through the vi
documentation
and I can't seem to get anywhere, there must be some simple command
somewhere to set the locale (charset). But WHERE and WHAT?