RE: Detecting the need for -mwin32 in newer cygwin gcc's

On 9 Mar 2001, at 10:14, the Illustrious Robert Collins wrote:

> [...]

	Well, to begin with, I am not using cygwin bash shell.  Given that,
anymore from me on autoconfig would probably be inappropriate and
considered OT.

> > 	It would be easy enough to use the -mwin32 switch, or
> > set the specs so
> > that it is assumed that the build is for a win32 machine unless
> > otherwise noted (-mno_win32).  Or, depending on the priorities trying
> > to be promoted and supported for Cygwin, the default can be
> > -mno-win32, thereby forcing the developer to use -mwin32 if they want
> > to build a win32 app. 	In the latter case, if -mno-cygwin is being
> > used then the default is defined as -mwin32.
>
> While it's 'easy enough' for someone who's been on this list and
> watching the changes happen, it's not intuitive, or even logical, to an
> old unix hand, who just downloaded cygwin via setup, downloaded (say) an
> emacs tarball, and then runs ./configure; make; and hits lots of errors
> (because they needed -mwin32 and _didn't know that_.

	Strange thing about "intuitive".  It is an extremely relative term.

	Intuitive Unix is not at all the same as Intuitive Windows...it is the
price paid for building a schizophrenic api such as Cygwin (Unix <->
Windows)..we can't say "this is windows" or "this is Unix", but we can
say this is like Unix and we can say this is like Windows.  All depends
on your point of view (relative).

>  The goal is to make the porter's (who is not necessarily the developer)
> job easier.

	Ahh, but there's the rub...if using Cygwin then you can't be one or
the other.  You have to have at least enough knowledge to know the
difference between the Unix OS and the Windows OS.  Notwithstanding, of
course, those who could care less, ie. those who are only concerned
about whether a Unix application can be built on a Win32 machine and
visa-versa (Win32 application on a Unix machine).

> The porters goal is to allow the user to run
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> and have the program compile and install efficiently.
>
> So the gcc specs are interesting, but moot: some packages need one
> default, some the other. So the porter wants the configure script to
> find the correct gcc switchs, _for this install_ of cygwin. I.e. with
> gcc 2.95.6-5 or -8, where the default is opposite!. And we want the
> porter to have an easy time of this :]

	Which is basically what I was suggesting when I referenced "modifying
the setup.exe".

> Rob

	Peace,

		Paul G.