cygwin cvs.exe appends ^m to checked out files

I've just noticed that cvs.exe that comes with cygwin checks out cvs
controlled files with the dos line endings, i.e. each line has a ^M at
the end. This can be verified this by invoking "cat -v" on a checked
out file. When I installed cygwin, I specified unix line endings. Is
there a way to get checked out files to have unix style line endings?