RE: Gmake is slow under cygwin

Yeah, our GNU make system is a bit slower than on UNIX.
It's definitely the file/directory I/O that's creating
the overhead -- I've taken the approach of trying to
optimize the makefiles themselves, minimizing the
number of file I/O operations make will have to do.

I got a modest performance increase by turning off
GNUMake's magical "auto remake the makefiles if necessary"
behavior...