Re: New symlinks.

The shortcut does work, but only in a limited way.  The browse functionality in an "Open File" dialog works, so long as you double click on the shortcut.  The "Run->Browse"
treats the shortcut as a file and attempting to use the shortcut name in a path specification where the shortcut is in "the middle", results in an "invalid path" error.
This also applies to trying to use the shortcut name in a 'cd' command from a "DOS" prompt, either by itself or as part of a longer path specification, or for typing in a
path specification in the browse window's filename field.

Double clicking on the shortcut name in Explorer also works, moving to the directory pointed to by the shortcut, but the shortcut name only shows up in the right hand
window, since it is not a directory.

Ehud Karni wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 16:21:54 -0500, Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barclay@digitalfocus.com> wrote:
> > > The real problem of Windows .lnk files (within Windows use) is that
> > > even though you can make link to a directory, you can not really use
> > > it. Unlike UNIX, you can not use .lnk files as middle part of path,
> > > it may only be used as the terminating part (basename) of a path.
> >
> > Why not?  Or, probably, "where not"?
> >
> > In the Window UI, you can have links (shortcuts) to directories.
> > Conceptually, these are in the middle part of a path (the virtual
> > path you tranverse step by step in the UI).
> >
> > Are links not usable in the middle of pathnames given to the command-line
> > interpreter?  Or are links not usuable in pathnames given to Windows OS
> > calls for file operations.
>
> I guess in both. I checked by giving a path to 1: the built in "run"
> (BTW with its "browse" you can't even traverse the link). 2: as file
> to open to `notepad' and other native M$ windows utilities.
>
> BOTH FAILED !
>
> Ehud.
>
> --
>  @@@@@@ @@@ @@@@@@ @    @   Ehud Karni  Simon & Wiesel  Insurance agency