Re: "net setup"

Yesterday, Michael Powe wrote:
> Why isn't there a central installation site for the "net setup" that
> contains all necessary and/or elective files?  I've been to six "mirror"

There was, and nobody used the mirrors and then it got swamped and cgf
cut it off from installs, which had a side effect of the mirrors being
more uptodate. (or maybe that was just me halucinating, but it seemed
to go from "pretty good" to "almost always bleeding edge" for the
mirrors close to me.)

> sites and every one of them is giving me error messages that essential files
> like binutils or gzip are not found.  Am I really expected to "shop" from
> site to site, making a list of all the missing packages and checking them
> off as I cruise around the mall picking them up from one site or another?

You should not have to do this, all of the mirrors should be current, if
you find a mirror listed in the options of setup.exe *PLEASE* contact the
mirror's admin and report the problems... otherwise they won't know and
can't fix it.

Perhaps we should hack a quick script that grabs setup.ini from a trusted
site (can we get it from sources via http??) and the mirrors list from
sources (I assume you're retrieving that via http) and then walks the list
to see what kind of shape they're in. Maybe this is something that should
be run like once a week and a report generated? CGF, do you think this
would be a worthwhile thing? perhaps the report could be html and put on
the web? or the results somehow put into the mirror list?

> Maybe I'm wrong but I always thought "mirror" meant a complete copy of a
> central site.  We don't seem to have even a single central site with all the
> packages available.

try ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/ as your mirror, I just did a refresh from them
without problem, and a complete install maybe a week ago.

--
now the forces of openness have a powerful and
  unexpected new ally - http://ibm.com/linux