What version of the C++ compiler am I using?

2 more newbie questions:
 (1) I noticed that __CYGWIN__ is defined to 1 when I compile my C++ source
code. Does this indicate version 1 of the compiler? If not, is there a
symbol defined that tells me the version of the compiler?
  I was expecting another symbol to be predefined like __GNU_C__ but I could
not find it in the documentation and it does not seem to be defined.
  Is there another technique for determining which version of the compiler I
am running?

 (2) I notice that there is a strstream.h but there is no sstream (which is
supposed to supersede strstream.h). Am I out of date or has no one gotten
around to porting this yet? Or have the GNU people not implemented it yet? I
looked at the copyrights in the Cygwin std headers and they have HP's
copyright. I looked in the microsoft headers and they are all copyrighted by
P.J. Plauger and it does not look anything like the GNU copy left (but then,
neither does the HP copyright). What has been the procedure in the past for
adding header files like sstream? Does someone start from scratch and hope
they get it right?

  Incidently, I appreciate your support. I'm teaching a lot of 5 day
seminars on advanced C++ topics (which surprises me, I thought Java would
have stolen the show by now) on Microsoft platforms and I am advocating
Cygwin's compiler with the Emacs/bash development environment. I'm always
amazed when the GNU/Cygwin compiler does something Microsoft's won't (such
as unroll loops with recursive C++ templates). I hope to be comparing the
run time efficiency of the code produced by the two compilers soon.

    Thanks again folks,
         Siegfried