Re: Windows expertise needed: what are MinSPs

Bernard Dautrevaux wrote:

> [...]

Win98se, yes.

> There 32-bit DRIVERS are allocated a default 1-page stack (that is 4kbyte).
> If there is a stack overflow, Win98 will look in a pool of Spare Stack pages
> to grow the driver's stack. It's this set of spare stack pages you are
> increasing by setting MinSPs :-)
>
> Note that you must always increase it by 4 (i.e. set it to 8, 12, etc.)
> according to Microsoft... Now, why do you have stack overflows in 32-bit
> drivers is another history but you should have corrected the problem if you
> no more get the same message :-)
>
> HINT: have you installed anything on your computer recently?

/Merci/ Bernard.  I did install a barcode reader from "CRQ" recently.  Also,
ZoneAlarm has a driver-like component IKEServices and I quite often have seen
ZA as the [not responding] application.

I don't know yet how Cygwin does some of its magic without a driver-like
component, but it does chew up resources of some sort to maintain its own
process stack - a typical "ps" shows 6 or 8 Cygwin processes hanging around
waiting for someone to do something.

The bottom line is that today with MinSPs=8 the things that were not working
before now work like a charm.  Again, maybe we should all look at that value on
our machines and maybe a FAQ should suggest increasing it if there are hangup
problems.
--
David A. Cobb, The Superbiskit !
Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate, All around nice guy.