Re: fpTeX and Cygwin

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 11:11:02AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 12:18:36AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> >
>> >Whoah! None of my packages in contrib install into /usr/local.  The
>> >original motivation behind the "contrib" directory was not "stuff for
>> >/usr/local." We first created "contrib" and moved zlib and libpng into
>> >it from "latest" because.  Wait.  Why did we do that again?
>>
>> Hmm.  I thought that this was always the understanding.  Corinna's ssh
>> stuff went in /usr/local until it was put into latest but...  hmm...  it
>> never existed in contrib or latest.  It was in an external site.
>>
>> I guess I'd like some clear distinction on a user's disk for what is
>> "contributed" (and therfore optional) and what is not.  The user has
>> no easy way of knowing that something comes from a contrib directory
>> so the only vague hint he'll get will be directory structure.
>
>I don't follow this argumentation. Regardless how the package is
>queezed into an order in the download directory hirarchy it should
>always be installed in the prefix=/usr part of the users machine.
>
>The /usr/local is what the name suggests: It's what the user has
>additionally locally installed. The /usr part is what is part of
>the distro. And the contrib packages _are_ part of the distro.

They are contributed, unsupported parts of the distribution.  I
think that the local directory layout should reflect that.

Why do we even have a "contrib" directory, then?  It is completely
transparent to the user.  The only thing we can say is "Oh yeah, well
it's not supported! Check it out for yourself by using your ftp client
to go to ftp.sources.redhat.com and you'll see! So there!"

cgf