Re: Cygwin Termcap information involving extended ascii charicters

Hi!

Monday, 26 February, 2001 Charles S. Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu wrote:

>> > Box  characters have nothing to do with extended ascii codes. They are
>> > described in acsc capability in your terminfo entry. Your problem with
>> > mc  arise from the fact that windows consoles have 2 modes -- ansi and
>> > oem.   Original  terminfo  entry  was  written for oem mode, which was
>> > default  at that time. Sometime ago cygwin have changed its default to
>> > ansi   mode and it lead to problem with box characters -- in ansi mode
>> > box   characters  have different codes.
>> >
>> > To  solve  your  problem  you  have  two   options. You can either set
>> > cygwin default console mode to 'oem' by  adding    'codepage:oem'   to
>> > your CYGWIN variable, or change acsc capability in terminfo entry.
>> >

>> Unix that I'm working on has two console terminfo's, at386 and at386-iso,
>> corresponding to OEM and ANSI cases. Cygwin could take the same way and set
>> TERM to two different strings depending on codepage value.
>>
>> In cany case, if ANSI is now default, default termcap/terminfo should
>> obviously corespond to this.

CSW> Perhaps.  But the ANSI codepage does not contain all of the necessary
CSW> linedraw/box characters -- many were replaced by those "unimportant" (to
CSW> clueless Americans) accented letters.  Thus, the 'OEM' codepage is very
CSW> US-centric, but can draw pretty boxes.  The ANSI codepage is slightly
CSW> friendlier to an international crowd.

it  doesn't  contain  "pretty box characters" :) Nobody can prevent us
from   using  '+',  '|',  '-' from lower part of ansi codepage to draw
boxes,  though.  If  someone   must   use   ansi   codepage  for  some
reason,  i  think  we  can  provide  "cygwin-ansi" terminfo entry with
not-so-pretty-but-usable acsc characters.

As   for   "international  friendliness",  i  personally  think  that
cyrillic  oem    codepage  866  is far  more  "friendly" then cyrillic
codepage 1251 used as ansi codepage on consoles in russian windows.