request sample makefile for g77

I would greatly appreciate a sample makefile for a g77 project that includes
a static link library, along with any environment variables that must be
changed from their default values.  I can't get make to pay attention to my
FFLAGS, and will probably have more problems before I have a working
makefile, so that having an example would save me a lot of fooling around.
If this is an inappropriate request for this group, please let me know.  I'm
sending from hotmail, since there were complaints about the format from our
institutional mail handler after my last message.  (Which is Groupwise;
administrators like it because they can see if we are opening the mail they
send us.)