python 2.0, cygwin & readline - undefined symbols

Hello,

I'm trying to get python 2.0 to compile under the latest cygwin/readline
combo, but am getting unexplainable (to me at least) linker errors.

I uncommented the line in python's Modules/Setup file to add the readline
module and get the following when trying to build:

gcc   python.o \
          ../libpython2.0.a -lreadline -ltermcap
-lm  -o python.exe
../libpython2.0.a(readline.o)(.text+0x949): undefined reference to
`rl_event_hook'

If I look at /usr/lib/libreadline.a (or /usr/lib/libreadline.dll.a) I see
the following:

[/usr/lib]$ nm libreadline.a | grep rl_event_hook
00000000 D _rl_event_hook

I tried commenting out the line in the python module that referenced
rl_event_hook, but then got a bunch of other linker errors. nm said all the
symbols were of type 'D' (in the initialized data section) when I looked at
the library.

Any idea what's up?

Python builds and runs fine without the readline module so I don't think its
anything with cygwin in general. All I did was the standard ./configure
--with-suffix=.exe; make; make install. The trouble only appeared when I
tried to turn on the readline stuff.

-dave.