Re: HOW BIG IS IT?

At 12:54 PM 2/20/2001, Mark Paulus wrote:
>Just realize, the size of the package isn't the whole picture.
>You also need the space for the download, the space for the unpacking,
>the space for the /usr components (man, bin, lib, etc), and the space
>for the "latest" snapshot.  I downloaded what I considered
>a base system (didn't include gcc,m4, or any dev stuff except
>make) to a samba disk I have at home.  That took 300 MB or so.
>But I tried installing the components I wanted onto a local disk,
>and that totally consumed a 900MB disk with it's temp files, and
>everything else.  Couldn't even get it installed, until I went to
>a partition with 2+ GB free.

You don't have to download the snapshots.  And you only need to take
"contrib" if there's something you want in there.  Still, I downloaded
"latest" and its 330MB for me ("contrib" is 43 MB).

"Is there something wrong with free software that makes it so big?", he asks
jokingly.

>(Would be nice if setup would allow one to specify whether to keep
>packages as they are exploded, where to keep temp files, etc, etc)

I doubt you'll get an argument from folks on this list in that regard.
Anyone want to patch setup to do this?