Re: HOW BIG IS IT?

Just realize, the size of the package isn't the whole picture.
You also need the space for the download, the space for the unpacking,
the space for the /usr components (man, bin, lib, etc), and the space
for the "latest" snapshot.  I downloaded what I considered
a base system (didn't include gcc,m4, or any dev stuff except
make) to a samba disk I have at home.  That took 300 MB or so.
But I tried installing the components I wanted onto a local disk,
and that totally consumed a 900MB disk with it's temp files, and
everything else.  Couldn't even get it installed, until I went to
a partition with 2+ GB free.

(Would be nice if setup would allow one to specify whether to keep
packages as they are exploded, where to keep temp files, etc, etc)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:20:36 -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:

>Andy Canfield wrote:
>>
>> Thank you very very much for your reply. I would love to try it out. But how big is it? Ten megabytes? Seventy megabytes? Three hundred megabytes? Download speed here is at best ten
megabytes per hour, starting at 4AM, but since they cut the cable off Taiwan it has gotten much slower. I want to know so I can free up space on my hard disk. Thanks very much.