automode experience feedback

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 4:16 PM
Subject: Re: A question for Corinna

<snip>
> automode.o, binmode.o, and textmode.o all affect low-level I/O, the
> same way that mounting directories or files affect low-level I/O.
> There is no "C" or "C++" component.
>
> Can I suggest that you could just be writing simple test cases to
> figure this kind of thing out?  The best teacher is experience.

when I did the file mode work on squid, I looked at using automode and decided against it because:
* squid uses binary files for the object store index, and the cached objects themselves. (So I had to make some of the opens
explictly binary no matter what.)
* reading DOS formatted files and then writing unix style seemed bound to confuse someone, eventually.

The squid developers happily accepted the changes, with the contants checked for in one of the main header files. (Every file open
in squid now explicitly indicates it's mode as text or binary regardless of platform. On platforms that don't define O_TEXT &&
O_BINARY these are #ifdef'd to 0).

Rob